My Countdown Clock


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Trying to be Local

So yesterday I was walking out of the park and an Asian lady with a little girl came up to me and asked, in broken Engrish, if I knew where the statue of Balto was? Note that I’ve only been here just over a week and I’ve only been to the park a handful of times. Also note that I’ve never seen this statue. I don’t know if it was my deep desire to belong and pridefully couldn’t inform the lady that I didn’t know, making me a tourist and not the local Yorker that I longed to be, or if it was my innate sense of where things are, but either way I gave her an answer. Without pausing to think this through, I explained to her that she was on the wrong side of the park, she was on the west and it was on the east. I told her to follow a certain trail until she saw certain landmark and to turn a certain way and to follow certain path until she found it. I have to admit that I’ve never been where I told her to go, but I was so sure and confident that it would get her there. She smiled and thanked me and we parted ways. I crossed the street and started my trek home. My eyes enlarged as I realized what I’d just done. This park is 768 acres, and I just led some woman on a 20 minute trail. Where did I pull that from? I started to feel guilty. That little girl wanted to see that bronze Disney dog hero and now they’ll be 20 minutes out of their way. How could I have been so prideful to not tell the truth? It would have been so easy to say, "I’m sorry I’ve never been there, I don’t know." But, no, I gave the façade that I was local. To be honest, it was refreshing and fulfilling to have someone think that I knew about this city because I belonged, but does that give me the right to lead people blindly? I had this ethical conversation with myself, and felt the inner turmoil the whole way home. I thought, "at least I’ll never see that lady again. "
Later that day I was on the internet and decided to look up this legendary Balto Statue, so that the next time I ran into some Disney lovers I’d be able to send them the right way. Turns out, it was exactly where I had sent that lady and her daughter. I couldn’t believe it. How do I do that? It must be a gift. Too bad my gift is that I know where things are, even if I’ve never been there instead of like flying or something. Oh well. At least I’ve got something.
PS Why do Asians love Disney so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment