My Countdown Clock


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Sunday, April 19, 2009

People (YC 2)

I took the train down to the church and my body felt shaky. I wasn’t sure if it was the sickness I was getting over or the fact that I knew no one. I walked in and not knowing where to go, I stood in the foyer. Kids and leaders were coming in and out and I felt very intimidated and overwhelmed. Sister Houston came and introduced herself. She was the Stake Young Women’s president. She told me to go in and make a sandwich for lunch. I thought I felt intimidated before, this was intense. I was the minority, and the last time that happened I was in Hawaii and they were racist and rude to me. These were not Hawaiians, they were New Yorkers. It’s funny how New York gets a bad rap and everyone thinks the people here are so mean and Hawaii has the reputation for being so hospitable and nice. Those are not the sides I’ve seen, in fact, quite the opposite. I met Dana who was another leader and we became fast friends. She also had just moved to the city and knew no one, and her husband couldn’t come so she was alone. We stuck pretty close to each other. I finally met Mike, the guy on the phone that didn’t get back to me until the last second, also the guy that I was hoping remembered that he said he’d get me a sleeping bag. I met Jalene, a singer and dancer here in the city trying to make it big, I guess she wants to find a band to sing with- she’s nice, but maybe weird? I rode up in the van with a bunch of boys: Jose, Carlos, Alex, David, Jeremy and Philippe. David is the only one from America and he was born and raised in New York. Jose and Philippe are from Mexico, Carlos from Dominican Republic, and Alex and Jeremy are from France. They were very friendly and nice. I sat next to Yuhi and her husband Shane. They met on their missions in Japan. Yuhi is a cute Japanese girl that I love! Her husband is a red head from Idaho. They were an awesome couple and I spent a lot of time with them, they’re great! Cory was the driver and his wife couldn’t come because she’s due in a month. The boy in the front seat was…I can’t remember, but he was very quiet and listened to music the whole time. The girls in my cabin were awesome. Dana and I were assigned to cabin 1 and we walked right out and into cabin 2. There were already three leaders in cabin 1 and the girls were so loud! Yuhi was in 2 so we thought, ‘let’s change so we can at least be with Yuhi.’ There were two open beds so we snuck in. The girls in cabin 2 were awesome. They were mature and friendly, and they were also quiet! I met so many wonderful people, leaders and youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment