My Countdown Clock


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rocks are just rocks

I love the park and I love to explore it, it’s so big that it’ll take my whole summer to see the whole thing. I can’t wait. Today while aimlessly walking I found a castle that’s a weather station and a nature observatory. From the third floor, I had an inspiring view of tree tops, a pond, an amphitheater, a baseball park, and the buildings that line the southern section of park.
I rest my arm on the beautiful carved stone making the rail that keeps us from falling to our death, and as I lean over, I notice rough stones that make the courtyard below. My eyes draw slightly to the right into Turtle Pond, which happens to be lined with stones, each carefully placed to create such beauty and comfort. On the left are the woodlands; nature preserved. The path leading into this urban forest from the castle is a rock, with steps engraved into its’ side. Above the sea of green treetops are the skyscrapers, looming far above the highest branch. I notice the precise etchings of the stones that make up the buildings in this sought after city.
So many different stones and each with a different purpose. I wonder if the stone that makes the steps envies the one that makes the bed in the pond, to see the fish swimming below, feel the water sloshing against its’ side, and house paddle boats in the water it’s helping to hold. Or if the courtyard stone envies the stone placed on the castle, creating shelter and structure, to be pleasing to the eye, and a work of art. Or if the path of stones look through the canopy to the skyscraper and long to belong on the 10th story, to overlook the city, to be a part of the hustle, to see cabs and billboards, and be a piece of the building that houses people and jobs.
I then realize that maybe the steps, the courtyard, and the trail like to be where they are. They see soles of shoes from every country. They have squirrels and birds scamper across them as they search for food. They provide guidance and security for those who venture into the park.
I wonder if rocks are the envying type or the content type. Then I remember that rocks don’t have brains and nerves and they feel none of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment